THE BRAZIER CLUB
Supporting the Sport of Sailing at Geelong Grammar School
The Brazier Club was formed in 1972 to support Sailing at Geelong Grammar School.
More than 30 students belong to the GGS Yacht Club with skills ranging from beginner to world class. The school has invested in a fleet of 15 Pacer yachts and every Saturday in the summer season a core of sixteen students leave, often at 6am, to compete in school regattas held around Port Philip Bay. GGS sailors have been invited to represent Victoria at National Level in Brisbane (2015), after achieving fifth place in the Victorian Schools Team racing titles.
The Club's activities this year have raised additional funds to support Sailing at the school. Camp chairs and tables now provide teachers and staff with some basic comfort for their long competition days. An Open Day was held to celebrate the start of the season and to encourage middle school students to come down to the club to try out sailing. The Club again hosted the Sailing Presentation Dinner, featuring guest speaker Marshall Baillieu (P'84), the Ambassador on behalf of the Young Endeavour (a replica tall ship).
Plans for a new clubhouse have been developed and approved by the School, and fundraising for this exciting development has already begun.
The John Brazier Club has the following objectives:
• To promote ongoing communication and friendship with old Geelong Grammarians sharing a common interest - sailing!
• To make sailing students aware of the history of the school sailing club and invite their ongoing participation.
• To support the school and sailing students in their activities.
• To help finance the sailing club to develop and upgrade the facilities, equipment and sailing fleet.
• To assist with the maintenance of the club.
• To promote the sport of sailing by giving the school and its students access to a wealth of nautical knowledge and practical experience in almost every aspect of sailing.
President: Deborah Eyre
Vice-President: Tony Parks
Secretary: Fiona Parks
Treasurer: Jo-Anne Dean
Committee members: Mal Hiscock, Leonie Hehir, John Religa
Parent support: TBA
Ex-officio members of the Committee: Head of Sailing – Doug Gaylard, Director of Sport - Paul La Cava
Commodore-in-Chief: Stephen Meek, Principal of Geelong Grammar School
Immediate Past President: Fiona Lowe
For more information or to contact the Brazier Club Committee, please e-mail Iga Bajer, Support Group & Event Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Term 1 2017
Membership to The John Brazier Club is by a one-off subscription only and is open to Current Parents and family members, Past GGS Sailors and supporters of Sailing at Geelong Grammar. Each new membership comes with a Club cap.