The W.H. Pincott Club Inc. was established in 1963 to further the interests of rowing at Geelong Grammar School, in every way possible. Only five men and the rowing master attended the first meeting – but the Club has now grown to over 1,500 members.
Still operating with a very small committee, the W.H. Pincott Club Inc. exemplifies what can be achieved by an active and enthusiastic group of supporters. The Club has involved itself in the activities of the Geelong Grammar School Boat Club with ever increasing commitment.
W.H. (Pinny) Pincott coached the Geelong Grammar School (GGS) first VIII from 1924 until 1944, and continued to support his successors actively until his death at the age of 79 in 1955. During this period, GGS was Head of the River six times.
W.H. Pincott attended GGS from 1886 until 1894. He was a prefect, he captained the first XVIII as well as playing in the first XI. He later played League football with Geelong.
For many years, W.H. Pincott rowed with the Barwon Club. However coaching was his real interest and he coached many Barwon senior crews, a Melbourne University VIII and on occasions, the Geelong College crew. It is for his sincerity and simplicity of approach and for his great influence on coaches and the coaching of rowing that he will long be remembered.