Information for Toorak, 2023
Individual tuition is offered to students in:
- Piano, Music Discovery
- Violin, Viola, Cello
- Flute, Clarinet
- Trumpet, French Horn, Euphonium, Trombone (Year 4 and above)
- Guitar, Bass Guitar, Ukelele
- Drumkit (Year 3 and above)
Due to the demand and availability of music tutors, allocation of lessons may not happen immediately and waiting lists are generated.
Lesson lengths are generally between 30 and 60 minutes (depending on the student’s level). Lessons occur mainly during class time. Music lessons timetables are rotated so students do not miss the same class each week.
Fees for 2022*
$48.25 for a 30-minute lesson. These music fees are added to your main account and will specify the charge dates.
*2023 fees will be announced in November 2022 and are subject to a minor adjustment.
It is possible to hire instruments at the following rates (if they are available):
- Orchestral instruments (strings, brass, woodwind) – $100.00 per term.
- The school does not hire out guitars. Guitarists must have their own instrument BEFORE commencing lessons. Guitars and ukuleles must be clearly named.
- Students enrolling in Piano or Music Discovery must have a keyboard/piano BEFORE commencing lessons.
- Instrument cases and music must be clearly named and must be stored at school in the Instrument Store-Room in the Music Department.
- Instruments are hired out on the condition that they must be returned at the end of the year in the same condition as at the beginning of the year, taking normal wear and tear into account. Any damage to any hired instrument will be repaired and the cost of such repairs be charged to the student’s account. This shall be done at the discretion of the Head of Music.
Please Note: The school takes no responsibility for instruments privately owned. It is advised parents insure instruments and have them clearly named.
How to Apply for Music Lessons
For Term One:
Fill in the below electronic form below before Friday 20 January 2023.
For lessons in Terms 2, 3, or 4, please complete the below electronic form prior to the commencement of the term. Once the form is submitted, parents will be contacted about lesson availability and allocation.
Prep children commencing private music lessons will be assessed for readiness by the instrumental music tutor in consultation with the classroom teacher. The Music Department will then advise parents as to whether their child is ready for lessons on an ongoing basis after an initial trial period.
Charging of Music Fees
Music fees are charged mid-term to mid-term, except for Term 4, where they are charged at the end of the year. These music fees and any print music or instrumental supply charges (which are issued with the approval of the Coordinator of Music) are added to your main account and will show the term dates they are charged for.
Discontinuation of Lessons
There is a 4-week cancellation policy for the discontinuation of lessons. Written notice is required, emailed to the campus Music Administrator or Director/Head of Music. The 4 week cancellation period will be calculated from the date that written notice is received. Lessons will continue to be scheduled for the remaining weeks.
The School’s contract with Music Tutors is to provide tuition at the highest standard. Unfortunately, unless we have more than 48 hours’ notice of a lesson cancellation (this includes illness) you will be charged for the lesson in question. Music Tutors are employed on a term-by-term basis and your payment pays for their predetermined time commitment for the term. We thank you for your understanding.